Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cabbage Casserole

Bookmark and Share
cabbagescabbages (Photo credit: bgblogging)I remember my Mom making various cabbage dishes. I could tell when I entered the house by the smell. To some people it was a bad smell, but to me, the smell was well worth it because of the wonderful taste. (sometimes ya gotta take the bitter with the sweet. I have tried various methods of reducing the cabbage smell, but to no avail. The best method I have found so far, is to put some vinegar in the water while you are cooking the cabbage. Cover the pot and keep the water to a rolling boil and don't lift the cover anymore than you have to. If any of you have a sure fire method of cooking cabbage to reduce or eliminate the odor, please let me know. In the meantime, put up with the smell and just enjoy the wonderful flavor of the following dishes.



Cabbage Casserole

5 cups shredded cabbage
6 medium potatoes, sliced
4 medium carrots, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pound lean ground beef
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed vegetable beef soup, undiluted


In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture; toss gently to combine. Transfer to a greased 3 quart baking dish. Spread soups over the top.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is no longer pink, and vegetables are tender.

This makes 10 servings.

Enjoy.
The Old Guy


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment