Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lazy Cabbage Casserole

Bookmark and Share
Raw Ground beefImage via WikipediaI learned how to cook from my Mom "long distance".  Both Mom and Dad worked.  When I got home from school, I would call Mom, and she would tell me what's for dinner and how to prepare it.
This is one of my "over the phone" recipes.  So easy even a 12 year old could make it, and it is really tasty.
Enjoy.
The Old Guy

Lazy Cabbage Casserole (Inside Out Cabbage Rolls)

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1-can condensed Tomato Soup
1 soup can water
3 tablespoons uncooked regular rice (could use Minute Rice)
2 cups chopped cabbage
2-3 tablespoons brown sugar (taste the sauce, you may want to add alittle more brown sugar)
a squirt of lemon juice
a splash of white vinagar
Prehear oven to 350 degrees.  Generously butter a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish (could use cooking spray).  Place chopped cabbage in the baking dish and set aside.
In a large skillet, lightly brown the ground beef and onion; drain well.  Add uncooked rice, and all remaining ingredients. Mix well and simmer for 10minutes.
Pour ground beef mixture over chopped cabbage.
DO NOT STIR.

Cover with allumium foil and bake 1-1/2 hours, or until cabbage and rice are tender.
Tastes like stuffed cabbage only without all the work.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I call it Unstuffed Stuffed Cabbage and truthfully, I think it is just as good.

    Thanks for sharing your noodle kugel recipe with me. I make one too but not exactly in the same manner. I want to try yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea...I like the shortcut. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal!

    ReplyDelete